Deathisdefeated

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Today I learnt something new and amazing... at least to me.

I always thought all Israel went into Babylonian captivity but today I learned "no" the 10 tribes went to Syria.

Now I am wondering:

1) was there a promise for return from exile to these 10 tribes and a time limit for their exile?

2) did they ever return?

3) do the 10 tribes have any part in soteriology and eschatology?

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JIR,

You said they went to Syria instead of Babylon. Why do you say this? How did you learn this "fact"?

But in answer to your second question, there was no promise of their return to the land of Israel. In fact, it was because they separated themselves from the monarchy after Solomon (because they didn't like the high taxation), this separation was a permanent one. They set up an alternate Jerusalem, Samaria, and that was their capital city. Maybe this is why you are mentioning Syria?

Anyway, the supposed "lost" 10 tribes are not completely lost. In NT times, Paul mentions that he wanted to go to the dispersed, of the other tribes of Israel. So they were known to exist, and probably the Jews knew where their brethren had settled.

But, in answer to your question, do they have any part in soteriology and eschatology? Absolutely yes. Since Jesus was a Jew, and the promise was to the Jew first, then to all people, it is only natural that the gospel was preached first to the Jew, then to the brethren of the Jew, the diaspora, and of course, to all gentiles. Jesus Christ is for all people. So when we are told "all Israel shall be saved", from their point of view, "all Israel" meant all their wayward brethren. It is NOT referencing some kind of rebuilt temple in Palestine at the end of days. No temple will be rebuilt, unless someone forces the issue. That is not in God's plan. 

The rebuilding of the temple if the rebuilding of a relationship with God through Christ. The temple rebuilding is the rebuilding of ourselves, as "pillars in the temple" as Rev. states.

You said they went to Syria instead of Babylon. Why do you say this? How did you learn this "fact"?

In c. 732 BCE, the Assyrian king, Tiglath-Pileser III sacked Damascus and Israel, annexing Aramea[8] and territory of the tribes of Reuben, Gad and Manasseh in Gilead including the desert outposts of Jetur, Naphish and Nodab. People from these tribes including the Reubenite leader, were taken captive and resettled in the region of the Khabur River system in Assyria/Mesopotamia. Tiglath-Pilesar also captured the territory of Naphtali and the city of Janoah in Ephraim and an Assyrian governor was placed over the region of Naphtali. According to 2 Kings 16:9 and 15:29, the population of Aram and the annexed part of Israel was deported to Assyria.

Israel continued to exist within the reduced territory as an independent kingdom subject to Assyria until around 725-720 BCE, when it was again invaded by Assyria and the rest of the population deported. The Bible relates that the population of Israel was exiled, leaving only the Tribe of Judah, the Tribe of Simeon (that was "absorbed" into Judah), the Tribe of Benjamin and the people of the Tribe of Levi who lived among them of the original Israelites tribes in the southern Kingdom of Judah. However, Israel Finkelstein estimated that only a fifth of the population (about 40,000) were actually resettled out of the area during the two deportation periods under Tiglath-Pileser III, Shalmaneser V and Sargon II.[9] Many also fled south to Jerusalem, which appears to have expanded in size fivefold during this period, requiring a new wall to be built, and a new source of water (Siloam) to be provided by King Hezekiah. Furthermore, 2 Chronicles 30:1-11 explicitly mentions northern Israelites who had been spared by the Assyrians—in particular, members of Dan, Ephraim, Manasseh, Asher and Zebulun—and how members of the latter three returned to worship at the Temple in Jerusalem at that time.

In 2 Kings 17:34 it says of the newly exiled Israelites that were in Assyria; "To this day they persist in their former practices. They neither worship Yahweh nor adhere to the decrees and regulations, the laws and commands that Yahweh gave the descendants of Jacob, whom he named Israel." The medieval rabbi and biblical commentator David Kimhi explains that this is in reference to the tribes that were exiled, and that they remained in their ways, neither accepting a monotheistic God nor in adhering to any of the laws and regulations that were common to all Jews.[10]

OK, just so I am clear, please read the following link:

http://www.aina.org/articles/assyrians.htm

I think you will see it isn't as simple as declaring "Syria" as being the modern equivalent of Assyrians. Assyrians were not Arabs, nor are they largely Muslims.

I heard the issue from a preacher, it was a passing point. He could have said Assyria for all I know.

The point was that they didnt go to the same place for exile.

But in answer to your second question, there was no promise of their return to the land of Israel.

In Ezekiel 37:16-17, the prophet is told

Son of man, take a stick and write on it, ‘For Judah, and the people of Israel associated with him’; then take another stick and write on it, ‘For Joseph (the stick of Ephraim) and all the house of Israel associated with him.’ 17 And join them one to another into one stick, that they may become one in your hand.
    — Ezekiel 37:16-17

There are discussions in the Talmud as to whether the ten lost tribes will eventually be reunited with the Tribe of Judah, that is, with the Jewish people.[12]

In terms of the prophets, are there any (besides the Ezekiel reference) that spoke directly to the 10 tribes?

yes, (one of Many) Take a look at Jeremiah 3, where God says that He had given 'Israel' a Bill of Divorce.

NOTE: God Divorced Harlot Israel.... and God Killed Harlot Judah.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+3&version...

The OT discusses the ten tribes dividing from the whole tribe of 'Israel'. Israel divided into two kingdoms. The House of Israel (Northern) and the House of Judah (Southern). The 'split' happened after King Solomon died and his son came to rule. Here is the account of what happened.https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+12&version...

"Israel" became (as it should be) the Name of the Northern House (Tribes). "Israel" (Northern House) was also called Ephraim in many places in the Bible. If you recall, it is Ephraim who was given The Birthright, not Mansseh (and NEVER Judah). There is NO Place in the Bible that Ephraim lost The Birthright.

Eze. 23 says things very well:

Ezekiel 23King James Version (KJV)

23 The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying,

Son of man, there were two women, the daughters of one mother:

And they committed whoredoms in Egypt; they committed whoredoms in their youth: there were their breasts pressed, and there they bruised the teats of their virginity.

And the names of them were Aholah the elder, and Aholibah her sister: and they were mine, and they bare sons and daughters. Thus were their names; Samaria is Aholah, and Jerusalem Aholibah.

And Aholah played the harlot when she was mine; and she doted on her lovers, on the Assyrians her neighbours,

Which were clothed with blue, captains and rulers, all of them desirable young men, horsemen riding upon horses.

Thus she committed her whoredoms with them, with all them that were the chosen men of Assyria, and with all on whom she doted: with all their idols she defiled herself.

Read all of EZE 23 to get a vivid picture of the 'two daughters ofone mother'. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+23&version...

Israel/Ephraim were swept away and became 'as' Gentiles. Loosing their identity as a complete nation and are of the Diaspora.

This is what the Apostle Paul said to King Agrippa: Acts 26

And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God, unto our fathers:

Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.

Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

The Apostle Paul went to The Gentiles (first to the Jews) and many accepted Joshua Messiah very easily. Why..? Because their for fathers were of Ephraim/Israel and THEY (The Gentiles) Had The Birthright to the leaders of The Whole House of Israel.

Strongs Concordance defines 'Gentiles' as : H1471

Transliteration
gowy
Pronunciation
gō'·ē (Key)
Part of Speech
masculine noun, proper masculine noun
Root Word (Etymology)
Apparently from the same root as גֵּוָה (H1465)
Dictionary Aids

TWOT Reference: 326e

KJV Translation Count — Total: 558x
The KJV translates Strongs H1471 in the following manner: nation (374x), heathen (143x), Gentiles (30x), people (11x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
n m
  1. nation, people

1. nation, people

1. usually of non-Hebrew people

2. of descendants of Abraham

3. of Israel

2. of swarm of locusts, other animals (fig.)

n pr m
    3. Goyim? = "nations"

Remember that only a 'Remnant' (of all twelve tribes) were to be given the Covenant Blessing Promises. But the majority were to be given the Curses from the Covenant Contract.

Were there 'Promises' of a 'land' promise? Yes there was 'Abraham' could 'see' it afar off (and he was at that time standing in Cannon) . It is called Beulah Land, The Heavenly Jerusalem, come down to be among Men. This 'land' is not 'just' in Judea, But where ever God New Covenant People, The Church are.

Thanks a lot, much appreciation

RSS

Events

Forum

Adam as Israel

Started by Internet_Troll in Eschatology. Last reply by Internet_Troll May 26. 6 Replies

The parousia and judgment of nations

Started by Internet_Troll in Eschatology. Last reply by Dustin Curlee Apr 24. 15 Replies

Preterist Networking

Started by Judy Peterson in Prayer Requests. Last reply by John Aug 8, 2016. 17 Replies

The 10 Tribes of Israel

Started by Internet_Troll in Questions and Best Answers We Can Give!. Last reply by Internet_Troll May 22, 2016. 9 Replies

Online Teaching Elders

Started by Eohn Rhodes in Eschatology. Last reply by Doug Dec 22, 2015. 4 Replies

Who is the abomination of desolation ?

Started by Stairway To Heaven in Eschatology. Last reply by Brother Les Dec 11, 2015. 3 Replies

Divine council

Started by Sharon Q in Eschatology. Last reply by Sharon Q Oct 3, 2015. 5 Replies

Marriage and Divorce Motif Between God and Israel

Started by Andrew Reish in Eschatology. Last reply by Brother Les Jul 5, 2015. 5 Replies

Millennium

Started by Mark Baker in Eschatology. Last reply by Internet_Troll May 4, 2015. 48 Replies

Fulfilled prophecies of Jesus

Started by joy sung in Eschatology Mar 22, 2015. 0 Replies

The End of the Old Covenat

Started by Internet_Troll in Eschatology. Last reply by Internet_Troll Jan 21, 2015. 60 Replies

© 2017   Created by Tim Martin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service