Deathisdefeated

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Michael Bennett recently posted this opening statement to Jason Bradfield's "An Apology to the Public Regarding Preterism" in which he mischaracterizes (the nice name for it)  "Covenant Creation" and its adherents. Of course Michael does this in his almost daily tirades against "Covenant Creation," repeatedly using the very language he is using here in this statement, while he "quotes" some of  us out of context, or dishonestly "paraphrases" what some of us have supposedly said, never linking his readers to our actual statements. Neither Jason's nor Michael's remarks are directed only at "Covenant Creation" and its adherents, but "Covenant Creation" is indeed included as the target of their accusatory, condemnatory, and at times, blatantly slanderous rants. Below is Michael's statement uninterrupted, followed by a few of my comments interspersed in the context of it:

Michael Bennett's Slanderous Remarks:

I happen to agree with most of this post by Jason. Jason, I am posting this, but closing the comment box. I want it to be read by people here and please really think about it all, everyone. What are we doing to the faith with all of these liberal speculations and what affect do those beliefs have on others? So many false teachings within Preterism are floated in books and churches and ministries by "leaders" before they are even well tested as theologically sound. How does that affect people out there who get a-hold of these teachings that are proven to be false later? We should really slow down and consider that men and women DIED to give us the WORD OF GOD. We need to start giving it much more respect, instead of endless speculations that lead to nowhere. Why are SO MANY Full Preterists so LIBERAL with interpretation? This is why I would gladly team up with a Partial Preterist like Demar (for example) I would EVER make Full Preterism my only reason to fellowship with someone. before I would EVER make Full Preterism my only reason to fellowship with someone. So much more sound, well rounded and conservative on ALL subjects.

My Response (Yes, an aplogy is needed):

What are we doing to the faith with all of these liberal speculations and what affect do those beliefs have on others?

"Covenant Creation" is "liberal speculation" which is doing something [something not good apparently] to "the faith" [Christianity in general?] and perhaps even harming "the faith" of some Christians. 

So many false teachings within Preterism are floated in books and churches and ministries by "leaders" before they are even well tested as theologically sound.

Notice that Michael has given himself the authority to pronounce something as "false teaching" when he admits it hasn't even been tested yet.

We should really slow down and consider that men and women DIED to give us the WORD OF GOD.

Here Michael is insinuating that those who don't adhere to his hyper-literal hermenuetic and instead see "creation" in a covenant context don't respect those who died to give us the Word of God.  

We need to start giving it much more respect

Here again, if you take the beginning of the Bible as the beginning of Redemption's story, and not the beginning of cosmological history, you don't respect the Bible.

instead of endless speculations that lead to nowhere.

Seeing the miraculous harmony between Moses, the Psalms, and the Prophets, and seeing this unity confirmed by Christ and the apostles, and being inspired toward a greater appreciation of our redemption and a greater reverance for the authority and impeccability of the Scriptures amounts to "endless speculations that lead nowhere" according to Michael Bennett.

Why are SO MANY Full Preterists so LIBERAL with interpretation?

Again, if you don't subscribe to his hyper-Clarkian, hyper-literal hermenuetic, you are "LIBERAL in your interpretation."

This is why I would gladly team up with a Partial Preterist like Demar (for example)...So much more sound, well rounded and conservative on ALL subjects.

Those who hold to a view of Genesis creation which logically corresponds to their view of Revelation's new creation--ie, those whose view of the beginning does not contradict their view of the end the way that Michael's does--those who are consistent in their approach to Scripture, and share that consistency in common with PP's like Gary DeMar, for example, whose view of the beginning and the end is consistent also----are unsound and not well-rounded, and not conservative.

Yes, Michael, an apology is needed, and is long over-due.

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tami,

Great post...i call it the "fundamentalist meltdown"

You'll notice Mike isn't leaving the rant open for discussion just as he closed down the discussion on Pastor Curtis's latest sermon.

These guys can't handle honest disagreement or engage in an honest discussion.

If they could we would never have had to create this site.

Michael and Jason both sound like they are making Roderick's argument against full preterism...I'm sure Rod is encouraged to know this.

Jason did say one thing that was true "Because it only lasted a week or two, it probably went unnoticed that i had virtually shut down,"

I'm not going waste anymore time on their latest rants and I'm sure not going to wait for an apology.

But I am glad you posted this.

RSS

Olivet Discourse Movie

How the Olivet Discourse was fulfilled in the first century.
Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21
Riley O'Brien Powell

Events

Forum

Delivered from the Law

Started by Internet_Troll in Questions and Best Answers We Can Give!. Last reply by Internet_Troll Apr 15. 13 Replies

FEAR obviously struck..

Started by Julia A Waldron in Eschatology. Last reply by John Mar 24. 1 Reply

For the Preterist

Started by Julia A Waldron in Eschatology. Last reply by Julia A Waldron Mar 24. 22 Replies

Isaiah 2:2-4 Used to refute preterism

Started by Steve G. in Eschatology. Last reply by Patricia Watkins Aug 13, 2018. 1 Reply

This Site Active?

Started by Doug in Eschatology. Last reply by Patricia Watkins Jul 29, 2018. 28 Replies

Gen 1 vs Isa 51

Started by Internet_Troll in Eschatology. Last reply by Internet_Troll May 3, 2018. 4 Replies

The sin of the Gentiles

Started by Internet_Troll in Questions and Best Answers We Can Give!. Last reply by Brother Les Jan 18, 2018. 3 Replies

Adam as Israel

Started by Internet_Troll in Eschatology. Last reply by Internet_Troll Nov 5, 2017. 9 Replies

Though he dies yet shall he live

Started by Internet_Troll in Questions and Best Answers We Can Give!. Last reply by Internet_Troll Apr 25, 2017. 8 Replies

The parousia and judgment of nations

Started by Internet_Troll in Eschatology. Last reply by Joseph Rehby Jul 6, 2017. 16 Replies

Preterist Networking

Started by Judy Peterson in Prayer Requests. Last reply by Judy Peterson Apr 8, 2018. 21 Replies

The 10 Tribes of Israel

Started by Internet_Troll in Questions and Best Answers We Can Give!. Last reply by Judith Ann Maness Aug 4, 2018. 10 Replies

Online Teaching Elders

Started by Eohn Rhodes in Eschatology. Last reply by Doug Dec 22, 2015. 4 Replies

Who is the abomination of desolation ?

Started by Stairway To Heaven in Eschatology. Last reply by Brother Les Dec 11, 2015. 3 Replies

Divine council

Started by Sharon Q in Eschatology. Last reply by Sharon Q Oct 3, 2015. 5 Replies

© 2019   Created by Tim Martin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service